Monday, August 4, 2014

Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Today, I met a really beautiful soul. Having Dodger at the park typically attracts people, as they are always interested in him. Today I was approached by a set of twins and their mother, who looked on the outside very different that the other parents. She had beautiful dreads and plenty of piercing. She sat down and we instantly starting chatting. She knew right away I was from the States and was inquisitive about my experience here so far. We talked about the little things of convenience that I miss (hello drive through pharmacies) and some of the things I don't miss (guns, of course among a few other things).

I got the feeling as we were talking that other parents weren't too keen on her look. But I found her fascinating. She explained to me that she was essentially homeless for the time as she and her husband and three children were living with her parents and siblings. "In between homes…" she said. She was my age and so I could relate to her about what that must feel like, considering I just made a big move and felt homeless a bit. She talked about her siblings, the mistakes she had made, and the fact that she hoped they would learn from her. We talked about her travel experience to the States and the many other places we want to travel. Her kids followed us down to the oval while I let Dodger have a run and we talked more about the challenges of raising kids. It was simple conversation. We talked about potty training, how friendly people were in the US (her words I promise), the size of the meals in the States, and where you could find organic items around here. I made mention of Petty's Orchard and she indicated she had not been there before. She was going to make plans to check it out. We talked about free things to do with the kids, since everything seems to be expensive around this area.

Of course, then I walked home and had the horrible interaction with Dragon Lady.

It made me wonder why some people are so angry in life? What could possibly make these neighbors so hateful?

Then there was this women at the park. She had seen some hard times. She was so beautiful to me, inside and out. Interacting with those type of locals is what this adventure is all about.

In Mr. Roger's neighborhood, Dragon Lady would not survive. She may appear to be "normal" but her ugliness on the inside is like a rotten apple.

I hope to run into the twin's mother again as she was so unique and so friendly…very considerate; true to herself. People are so interesting if you just give them a chance to show their true colors. I would welcome a neighbor like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment