Tuesday, September 30, 2014

This is Your Life- Part 2

It was a day very similar to my last day at Texas A&M. I wore the same outfit. It was cold and rainy again. The rain on my last day at A&M matched my mood. I was sad to be leaving my family of students and staff, a job I loved, and a supervisor I would follow anywhere. Today's rain was not the same. It was a cleansing rain as I left Deakin this afternoon. Perhaps for the last time unless I find another job at that same campus.

Yes, you read that correctly. I left Deakin after only two weeks of employment. There were several reasons why I left, but most would just bore you. What I can tell you is that the job simply was not for me. I learned a lot about myself over the two weeks. I know now that I need high expectations from a supervisor. I need to be challenged to the pushing point. I cannot work under laissez faire conditions. I need to be in a position where I can develop people, students and/or staff. I need to be able to teach, guide, train, mentor, facilitate learning, and engage people. So, as I stated the position was not for me. I will allow you to read between the lines.

Back in April I wrote a blog titled "This is Your life." This is the second part of that blog. As I got into my car to head home today, the song was on. As I stressed out about this time and how it would look on my resume, I freaked out. And then the lyrics hit me:

Yesterday is just a wrinkle on your forehead.

Simply stated and yet so true. Our days are numbered and I have chosen to already search for the next adventure. I don't want yesterday to be a wrinkle, but memories, proud moments, and happiness. And so, off I go again on a job hunt.

I don't want to disappoint any of you. I don't want you to think I am a quitter. I want you to think of me as a fighter who is still searching for my next step.

This is your life  Are you who you want to be? 

No comments:

Post a Comment