The transition over the last week has been an interesting one at least. As mentioned previously, we had set up bank accounts and phones first. We next had to take care of health insurance. This required completing a few forms, and then heading to the insurance office at the local mall. We handed the paperwork over along with copies of passports and birth certificates and just like that- we were covered. It's a bit odd thinking that I have no job but have health insurance. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday consisted of normal weekend types of activities. Otherwise, I lose track of the days and have no idea what day of the week it actually is. We headed off to Healesville Sanctuary where we were able to get close to kangaroos and wallabies and enjoyed a relaxing day strolling through the sanctuary which certainly does not feel like a zoo.
By Monday morning it was time to get back to work on the next steps for us to getting settled. First, we headed to the closest leisure center (gym) to join. This was followed by a trip to the realtor to find out about a few of the local rentals. I am happy to report that we have an "inspection" set up for this Saturday for a rental property with a large yard that welcomes dogs.
Later on Monday we headed back to the gym where Paul got a workout in and I attended a group fitness class. The boys swam with their grandmother and in all, we came out refreshed and exhausted.
Transitions have required baby steps and in some ways resemble a check list of items to take care of each day. The changes make me feel old and young all of the same time. Like a kid that is not sure what to do next and then an adult who is proud of accomplishing something during the day.
I have also made several observations over the past few days. Americans are called arrogant, self centered, and loud. I hate to break this news to the world, but I think you find arrogant, self centered, and loud people every where you go to some extent. Perhaps the Europeans are not loud, but every country does have proud citizens (perhaps leading others to believe they are arrogant and self-centered). The Aussies seem to be more like the Americans than the Europeans for the most part, outside of tea time. They are quite keen to purchase things made in Australia to support the locals and the economy here. It makes sense and reminds me of the "Made in America" campaign. They are very proud of their country and want to support it as much as they can.
I don't feel the need to quiet my voice here as I do in Europe. No one gives me dirty looks for speaking as we normally do in Texas (unless I shout out "howdy!")
In all, I would say that the Aussies are the more fun version of the British and maybe even the Americans (not as competitive as bigger is not always better). Not as stuck up (a perception of the British but probably not a reality), easy going, and happy to have the royals for the soul purpose of having the Queen's birthday off as a holiday. They seem to have a more youthful approach to life, enjoying it to the fullest and taking it easy.
No comments:
Post a Comment